Customizing Images for Any OS with MaaS's Image Builder and Packer

Hello everyone,

I am currently exploring the capabilities of MaaS’s image builder and Packer in terms of customizing operating system images. Specifically, I am interested in creating a custom Windows 11 image. However, I haven’t been able to find any online documentation or resources that clarify whether this is feasible using either Packer or MaaS’s native image builder.

Could anyone provide insight into whether there are any limitations with MaaS’s image builder and Packer in terms of building custom images for operating systems like Windows 11? Any guidance or references to relevant documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your support.

Hi @na88nar ,

MAAS Image Builder (MIB) is currently soft-deprecated (not dead yet, but we are moving away from it), so I suggest that you invest your time in packer-maas.

packer-maas Windows template is currently a WIP, with some outstanding issues but very close to be fully-functional. We are looking for contributors that can help us to get over the last hurdles.

1 Like

@alexsander-souza, thanks for your reply.
i have tried, but honestly the canonical is really disappointing for their support and solutions. I have tried, and deployed with Error, after i posted on the forum, nobody replied.

Hey @na88nar ,

this forum is for community and Canonical’s engineers try to help with a best effort strategy.

Canonical provides enterprise support for customers. If you are a customer, you should create a ticket on the customer portal, definitely not here!

Also, I checked and you have 3 more posts in addition to this one and you always got your problem solved by Canonical’s engineers

Could you please explain what is disappointing you if all your questions were solved?

I appreciate the efforts of your engineers. I believe that everyone first tries the products to ensure everything is perfectly fine before deciding to purchase a subscription. However, I have noticed several posts similar to mine, most of which are either unresolved or the poster found a solution themselves.

What I’m trying to understand is whether the support from engineers differs between private users and enterprise users. Another point of confusion for me is whether the lack of responsive support for private customers is intentional, pushing everyone towards purchasing a subscription.

Personally, I won’t decide on any purchase until I am satisfied with the trial or evaluation. I think most people feel the same way.

@na88nar

What I’m trying to understand is whether the support from engineers differs between private users and enterprise users.

Of course they are different. I suggest you to read this How to join the community . Also, you can get it touch with sales that will explain you what you would get with a subscription.

Another point of confusion for me is whether the lack of responsive support for private customers is intentional, pushing everyone towards purchasing a subscription.

Absolutely not. I think you have a completely wrong understanding of what an open source community is. You complain about the lack of responses on some posts: have you ever supported another user in this community?
My wish is to get more people involved to help each other, this should not be intended as the place where people ask questions and somebody from Canonical replies.

Personally, I won’t decide on any purchase until I am satisfied with the trial or evaluation. I think most people feel the same way.

I’m not the guy who should explain why enterprise support is important when running a business!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.