Unable to find kernel when deployed with /boot partition

attempting to deploy OL8 on MAAS 3.4.
When deploying with /boot it attempts to boot from grub but throws an error that the kernel cannot be found within boot, despite the fact that the kernel file does exist and it is the exact same filename.

when deploying without /boot, and only /boot/efi partition, everything works fine and boots as intended.

edit: appears grub is attempting to pull the kernel from the root partition’s boot directory after finding it on the boot partition

According to GitHub - canonical/packer-maas: Packer templates to create MAAS deployable images you need MAAS 3.5 to deploy OL8

sorry for the double post. I had posted shortly before the forum had gone down temporarily and when it came back my post was gone.

I understand its officially supported in MAAS 3.5 and I will most likely update, but I am deploying fine right as is on 3.4 until i add a boot partition. The changelogs for 3.5 didnt elaborate on the OL8/9 specfic changes that were made so that doesnt make me confident upgrading is going to solve my issue

You might try with a test environment. If it’s an issue also on 3.5 then it’s worth to take a look, otherwise nope