How to spin up MAAS with Ansible

Ansible playbooks provide a straightforward way to install and configure MAAS (Metal as a Service). This documentation will guide you through the process of setting up and managing MAAS using Ansible.

Installation of MAAS

To get started, follow these steps to install MAAS using Ansible:

1. Clone the MAAS-ansible-playbook repository from GitHub:
git clone git@github.com:maas/maas-ansible-playbook
  1. Ensure that you have Ansible installed on the machine where you’ll be running the playbook. The playbook has been tested with Ansible version 5.10.0 and above.

2. Verify that the netaddr Python library is installed on the machine running Ansible.

Note that this library is not required on remote hosts.

Installing a region controller

As an operator, you may want to install a MAAS region controller on a specific host using Ansible. Follow these steps to accomplish this:

1. Assign the maas_region_controller role to your region controller host by adding the following to your inventory file:

INI Format:

[maas_region_controller]
10.10.0.20 ansible_user=ubuntu

YAML Format:

all:
  maas_region_controller:
    hosts:
      10.10.0.20:
        ansible_user: ubuntu
  1. Set the required Ansible variables in the hosts file under the [maas_region_controller] group:
[maas_region_controller]
maas_version="latest"
maas_installation_type="snap"
maas_snap_channel="stable"
maas_url="$Ip_Address"
enable_tls=false
o11y_enable=false
admin_username="admin"
admin_password="admin"
admin_email="admin@email.com"
admin_id="lp:admin"

[note]
Note: Adjust the values accordingly for maas_version, maas_installation_type, maas_snap_channel, maas_url, enable_tls, o11y_enable, admin_username, admin_password, admin_email, and admin_id.
[\note]

1. Run the playbook to install the region controller:
ansible-playbook -i ./hosts site.yaml

Upon successful execution, you should have a functional MAAS instance accessible from the specified MAAS host IP address.

Installing a rack controller

To install a MAAS rack controller using Ansible, follow these steps:

1. Assign the maas_rack_controller role to the desired host(s) in your Ansible hosts file:

INI Format:

[maas_rack_controller]
$Host_Ip_Address extra_variable=$Variable_Value
$Second_Host_Ip

YAML Format:

all:
  maas_rack_controller:
    hosts:
      $Host_Ip_Address:
        extra_variable: $Variable_Value
      $Second_Host_Ip
  1. Set the required Ansible variables in the hosts file under the [maas_rack_controller] group:
[maas_rack_controller]
maas_version="latest"
maas_installation_type="snap"
maas_snap_channel="stable"
maas_url="$Ip_Address"
maas_rack_secret=
enable_tls=false
o11y_enable=false

Note: Adjust the values accordingly for maas_version, maas_installation_type, maas_snap_channel, maas_url, maas_rack_secret, enable_tls, and o11y_enable.

1. Run the playbook to install the rack controller:

The rack controller should now be accessible at the specified host IP address.

Uninstalling MAAS

If you need to revert the MAAS setup installed by the playbook, follow these steps to uninstall MAAS:

1. Identify the entry-point within the playbook that corresponds to tearing down the MAAS installation. Optionally, back up the MAAS database and configuration.

2. Run the playbook from the identified entry-point to remove the installation:

ansible-playbook -i ./hosts teardown.yaml

This will remove all MAAS packages or snaps, restoring the machine to its pre-installation state.

Configuring MAAS high availability (HA)

To set up high availability for MAAS using Ansible, including a reverse proxy and HA region controllers, follow these steps:

1. Assign the maas_proxy role to the desired host acting as the reverse proxy in your Ansible hosts file:
[maas_proxy]
my.host ansible_user=ssh_user
  1. Run the full playbook or use the --tags maas_proxy option to execute the tasks specific to the maas_proxy role.

2. Verify that HAProxy is forwarding traffic by running the following command:

curl -L http://<haproxy_host>:5240/MAAS

If HAProxy is not on a separate host, replace <haproxy_host> with the appropriate host IP and port (e.g., 5050).

Note that the playbook optimizes the HAProxy configuration to ensure smooth operation, including proper handling of OS image uploads and quick removal of unresponsive region controllers. The HAProxy instance does not interfere with Nginx/MAAS TLS configuration.

Installing HA PostgreSQL

To install a high-availability PostgreSQL database cluster for MAAS using Ansible, follow these steps:

1. Assign the maas_postgres and maas_corosync roles to the desired hosts in your Ansible hosts file:

INI Format:

[maas_corosync]
my.db1 ansible_user=ssh_user
my.db2 ansible_user=ssh_user
my.db3 ansible_user=ssh_user

[maas_pacemaker:children]
maas_corosync

[maas_postgres]

YAML Format:

all:
  maas_pacemaker:
    children:
      maas_corosync:
        hosts:
          - my.db1
          - my.db2
          - my.db3
  maas_postgres:
    hosts:
      - my.db1
      - my.db2
      - my.db3
  1. Set the required Ansible variables in the hosts file under the [maas_pacemaker] group:
[maas_pacemaker]
maas_pacemaker_fencing_driver="$stonith_driver"
maas_pacemaker_stonith_params="$stonith_parameters"

[maas_postgres]  # HA-related variables
maas_postgres_floating_ip="$vIP"
maas_postgres_floating_ip_prefix_len="$vIP_masklen"

Note: Adjust the values accordingly for maas_pacemaker_fencing_driver, maas_pacemaker_stonith_params, maas_postgres_floating_ip, and maas_postgres_floating_ip_prefix_len.

1. Run the playbook or use the --tags maas_ha_postgres option to execute the tasks specific to the HA PostgreSQL installation.

Note: The playbook installs the latest supported version of PostgreSQL for the given MAAS version. If the playbook is run with other roles set on targeted hosts or groups, the tasks associated with the maas_postgresql role will run first. If you wish to import a backup, ensure the appropriate variable is set.

Enabling observability capabilities

To export MAAS metrics and logs to your observability stack using Ansible, follow these steps:

1. Set the following Ansible variables in the hosts file:
[all]
o11y_enable=true
o11y_prometheus_url=http://$prometheus_ip:9090/api/v1/write
o11y_loki_url=http://$loki:3100/loki/api/v1/push

Optionally, you can set o11y_enable only on hosts of interest.

1. Run the playbook to install and configure the Grafana Agent service on the relevant roles:

By default, both metrics and logs are exported. You can disable either one by omitting the respective endpoint definition. Ensure that your Prometheus server is running with the remote-write-receiver feature enabled to receive metrics pushed by the agents.

1. Optionally, you can export the observability alert rules using the following command:
ansible-playbook --extra-vars="o11y_alertrules_dest=/tmp" ./alertrules.yaml

The resulting files (loki-alert-rules.yml and prometheus-alert-rules.yml) should be installed in your Loki and Prometheus servers, respectively. Refer to the MAAS documentation for setting up a basic observability stack.

Please refer to the specific Ansible playbooks and README instructions for further details and advanced usage.

Ansible playbooks make it easy to install and configure MAAS.

How to install a region controller with Ansible

As an operator, you want to install a MAAS region controller onto a given host using Ansible. To accomplish this, you must:

1. Attach the maas_region_controller role to your region controller host by adding the following to the Inventory file. In the example below, we’ve attached the region controller role to a host running on 10.10.0.20 with the user ubuntu:

INI:

[maas_region_controller]
10.10.0.20 ansible_user=ubuntu

YAML:

all:
  maas_region_controller:
    hosts:
      10.10.0.20:
        ansible_user: ubuntu
  1. Set the following Ansible variables in the hosts file:

[maas_region_controller] variables:

maas_version: "latest"          # The version of MAAS to install on the host
maas_installation_type: "snap"  # The installation manager to use (snap or deb)
maas_snap_channel: "stable"     # The snap channel, if using snap
maas_url: $Ip_Address           # The url of the database for this MAAS
enable_tls: false               # Whether TLS should be enabled for this MAAS
o11y_enable: false              # Whether observability should be enabled for this MAAS

# Details for the administrative account
admin_username: "admin"
admin_password: "admin"
admin_email: "admin@email.com"
admin_id: "lp:admin"            # Either lp:user-id (Launchpad) or gh:user-id (Github)
  1. Run the playbook to install the region controller. A successful run of the playbook should give the operator an accessible and ready MAAS instance.

Some important notes on installation:

• The default installation is a snap.
  • The installed region controller is used to set a maas_url variable when there is not one already set for later Rack Controller configuration use.
  • The operator can optionally enable TLS.
  • The playbook sets up the admin user.
  • The playbook adds any provided preseeds.
  • The playbook only installs the maas-region-api deb if the operator chooses the deb installation.
  • Once the region controller is installed, the playbook will run migrations using the configured postgresql primary instance.
  • Running on an already configured machine – but with a new version – should upgrade the instance.
  • The operator can override the postgres DSN variable on any machine (hence not defining any maas_postgres host) to use an existing PostgreSQL instance not managed by this playbook.
  • These variables can be also be defined at the Ansible command line using the --extra_vars argument.
  • The playbook uses an ansible variable to determine what version of MAAS to deploy. The playbook won’t execute (i.e “skipped” in the context of Ansible) if host_vars show the Ubuntu version is incompatible with the version and install method.
  • The Region Controller tasks should be able to execute on multiple hosts in a single execution if the target is an Ansible Group rather than a single host.

Finding the new region controller

You can find the newly-installed region controller at the specified MAAS host IP address, as though the controller had been installed manually.

How to install a rack controller with Ansible

As an operator, you want to install a MAAS rack controller to a given host, using Ansible. To accomplish this, you must:

1. Assign a host to the maas_rack_controller role in the Ansible hosts file:

INI

[maas_rack_controller]
$Host_Ip_Address extra_variable=$Variable_Value
$Second_Host_Ip

YAML

all:
  maas_rack_controller:
    hosts:
      $Host_Ip_Address:
        extra_variable: $Variable_Value
      $Second_Host_Ip
  1. Set the following Ansible variables in the Hosts file:

[maas_rack_controller] Variables

maas_version: "latest"          # The version of MAAS to install on the host
maas_installation_type: "snap"  # The installation manager to use
maas_snap_channel: "stable"     # The snap channel, if using snap
maas_url: $Ip_Address           # The url of the region controller for this MAAS
maas_rack_secret:               # The secret used to enroll a MAAS rack
enable_tls: false               # Whether TLS should be enabled for this MAAS
o11y_enable: false              # Whether observability should be enabled for this MAAS
  1. Run the Ansible playbook to install the region controller.

Some notes about installation:

• When running the playbook for a host with the maas_rack_controller role, the playbook installs the MAAS Rack Controller on the specified hosts.
  • The maas_url variable is used to connect the Region Controller(s), either previously configured from a Region Controller install task, or provided by the user.
  • If the maas_url variable is not set, the Rack Controller tasks are “skipped”. Some notes about the installation:
  • The operator can optionally enable TLS.
  • The rack controller tasks should be able to execute on multiple hosts in a single execution if an Ansible Group is targeted rather than a single host.
  • Only install the maas-rack-controller deb if using the deb installation.
  • Running on an already configured machine but with a new version should upgrade the instance.
  • You can optionally install a grafana agent by setting the o11y_enable variable to true either in the hosts file or at the command line.

Finding the new rack controller

The rack controller should be accessible at the specified host IP address, just as if you had installed it there manually.

How to uninstall MAAS with Ansible

As an operator, you want to be able to revert the MAAS setup installed by this playbook, such that the machine is clean of all MAAS packages or snaps. In order to teardown a MAAS deployment, do the following:

1. Find the entry-point within the playbook to teardown the installed MAAS packages or snaps.

2. Back up the database and MAAS configuration, if desired. Note that the target machine is restored state prior to installation, with no MAAS, directories, or files present on the system.

3. Run the playbook from this entry-point to remove the installation.

Running this playbook with the default configuration with perfectly undo the default installation.

How to configure MAAS HA with Ansible

As an operator, you want to install a reverse proxy and configure high-availability region controllers for a given host using Ansible. Note that HA region controllers require an HAProxy configuration.

You can accomplish this with the following steps:

1. Set the following in the hosts file to set the maas_proxy role:
[maas_proxy]
my.host ansible_user=ssh_user
  1. Run the full playbook, or add --tags maas_proxy to run only the tasks for this role.

2. Verify that the HAProxy is forwarding traffic by running the following if HAProxy is on a separate host from the region controller:

curl -L http://<haproxy host>:5240/MAAS`
  1. If HAProxy is not on a separate host, change the port number to 5050 when you run the command, like this:
curl -L http://<haproxy host>:5050/MAAS

Note that the playbook configures the HAProxy instance for optimal use, such that OS images can be uploaded (for example). An unresponsive Region Controller is taken out of the upstream pool quickly. The HAProxy instance does not interfere with Nginx/MAAS TLS configuration

How to install HA PostgreSQL

As an operator, you want to install a HA Postgresql database cluster to a given set of hosts using Ansible. You can accomplish this with the following steps:

1. Set the following in the hosts file to set the maas_postgres and maas_corosync roles:
[maas_corosync]

[maas_pacemaker:children]
maas_corosync

[maas_postgres]

[maas_pacemaker] Variables

# Fencing configuration
maas_pacemaker_fencing_driver: $stonith_driver
maas_pacemaker_stonith_params: $stonith_parameters

[maas_postgres] HA-related variables

maas_postgres_floating_ip: $vIP
maas_postgres_floating_ip_prefix_len: $vIP_masklen
  1. Run the full playbook, or add --tags maas_ha_postgres to run only the tasks for this roles.

2. Verify the primary by running sudo -u postgres psql and making sure you get a prompt.

Note that Ansible installs the latest supported version of PostgreSQL supported for the given MAAS version. If the playbook runs with other roles set on targeted hosts / groups, the tasks associated with the maas_postgresql role runs first. If the operator sets a variable for importing a backup, the backup is loaded into PostgreSQL.

How to enable Observability capabilities

As an operator, you want to export metrics and logs to your observability stack using Ansible. You can accomplish this with the following steps:

[all] Variables

o11y_enable: true
o11y_prometheus_url: http://$prometheus_ip:9090/api/v1/write
o11y_loki_url: http://$loki:3100/loki/api/v1/push

Optionally you can set o11y_enable only on hosts of interest.

1. Run the playbook

This installs and configures the grafana-agent service on all roles that support it. You can disable either metrics or logs export by omitting the respective endpoint definition. You need to run the Prometheus server with the remote-write-receiver feature enabled in order to receive metrics pushed by the agents.

MAAS has a curated collection of alert rules for Prometheus and Loki. You can export these rules using the following command, where o11y_alertrules_dest is the directory where the files should me placed.

ansible-playbook --extra-vars="o11y_alertrules_dest=/tmp" ./alertrules.yaml

The resulting files (loki-alert-rules.yml and prometheus-alert-rules.yml) should be installed in the Loki and Prometheus servers respectively. See https://maas.io/docs/how-to-monitor-maas for a basic observability stack setup.

Observability examples

There are many different ways to set up MAAS observability using Ansible. Here are just a few thumbnail examples.

Exporting metrics from MAAS region controllers

If you want to monitor the performance of your MAAS region controllers, then you can run the observability playbook, specifying the Prometheus endpoint. All hosts running MAAS region controllers install and configure the Grafana agent, allowing for the export of server metrics to Prometheus.

Exporting logs from MAAS rack controllers

To centralize the logs from MAAS rack controllers for easier troubleshooting, just runs the observability playbook, providing the Loki endpoint. The Grafana agent is installed and configured on hosts running MAAS rack controllers, allowing the export of logs to Loki. You can then access and analyse logs from all MAAS rack controllers in a unified location.

Exporting PostgreSQL metrics to prometheus

Assume you want to monitor the performance of your PostgreSQL database, which was installed by Ansible. You can run the observability playbook, specifying the Prometheus endpoint. This will export PostgreSQL metrics to Prometheus, allowing you to monitor database performance, identify bottlenecks, and optimize the MAAS instance.

Exporting logs from PostgreSQL to Loki

An operator wants to consolidate logs from their PostgreSQL database for better visibility and analysis. The operator runs the observability playbook, providing the Loki endpoint.
The Grafana agent is installed and configured on hosts with the PostgreSQL role, enabling the export of database logs to Loki. The operator can now access and search PostgreSQL logs alongside other log sources, simplifying troubleshooting and analysis.

Integrating alert rules into the existing observability stack

Suppose that you already has an observability stack in place and want to incorporate MAAS-specific alerts. You can runs the observability playbook, downloading and compiling MAAS-curated alert rules. These rules are integrated into the existing observability stack, enabling proactive notifications, so that you can take timely actions based on these alerts.

Ansible makes it easy to install and configure MAAS 3.2 and above. Our Ansible playbooks have not been tested or vetted with MAAS versions 3.1 or lower. If you want to take advantage of Ansible, we strongly recommend upgrading to MAAS 3.2 or higher.

1 Like

There should really be a link to the Git Repo itself in the main how to article, right?

It wont allow me to edit the main article because of the number of links in it, but i propose:

tl;dr MAAS Ansible Playbook Git Repo

at the start of the whole article, at the bare bare minimum.

Thanks!

1 Like

yep, will work on that this afternoon

yep, this page was a mess. sorry about that. see how it feels now.

I don’t realy understand how to “Help to Improve” so i will just let you a message here.

I think this line should be not “region controller” but “rack controller”…
Right?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.