DNS Resolve. Machines cannot resolve external domains

Hello everyone!

I hope you can help me, I would really appreciate it, I managed to configure a small MaaS cluster with a rack controller with 3 machines, I configured them according to the documentation but I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
The machines do not have internet access but they can deploy and update, when I ping Google or another domain I have no response.
I have MAAS 3.3.0 installed with Ubuntu 22.04 Lts.

Any help would be very helpful and I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey there!
Were the machines in your cluster able to connect to the internet prior to your installation of MAAS?

HI!
I can’t understand your question but, once MaaS installs Ubuntu on the machines they connect to the internet only to download updates and software only through snap and apt, any other domain doesn’t solve it

Hi @crfigueroa

when I ping Google or another domain I have no response.

Can you try ping 1.1.1.1 or ping 8.8.8.8 from deployed machines just to exclude DNS issues?

The machines do not have internet access but they can deploy and update

What do you mean by “deploy” here?

Do you run any proxy on your network?
Can you provide traceroute to any external host from any of the deployed machine?

Could it be related to your network configuration?
How network config for your machines look like? Could it be that gateway used by machines has some iptables rules limiting internet connectivity?

Hi @troyanov

Yes, I have done it and it does not respond the ping.

Start deployment for the machines or nodes.

No.

No

It’s definitely a network problem, I think I’m misconfiguring the network from the Region and rack controller.
I do not have a firewall implemented, in a previous attempt I configured it but it did not work.
I don’t manage very well with this netplan.

This is the configuration I have at the moment in the Region and rack controller.
nic ens18 is the server network and nic ens19 is the network of the machines or nodes

network:
  ethernets:
    ens18:
      addresses:
      - 10.0.100.200/8
      nameservers:
        addresses:
        search: []
      routes:
      - to: default
        via: 10.0.100.1
        on-link: true
    ens19:
      addresses:
      - 172.0.0.1/24
      nameservers:
        addresses:
        search: []
      routes:
      - to: 172.0.0.0/24
        via: 10.0.100.1
        on-link: true
  version: 2

also uncomment in sysctl.conf the line net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

I am definitely doing something wrong
TRUE? :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

sorry for my English :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

@crfigueroa, where’s your gateway?

Hi! @billwear

This 10.0.100.1 for the MaaS server and for machine or nodes is 172.0.0.1

Hi!

Configure IPTables to route network traffic, similar to a router, uncomment in the /etc/sysctl.conf file the line net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 and it doesn’t work the machines don’t access the internet

I understand that documenting a solution like MaaS is a great job but at times it confuses me and to that I add that I don’t have good English, the more difficult the task becomes

In the end it was a network problem and I solved it.

Also thank you all for your responses.

A hug to all!

1 Like