Windows Custom Image failing to write to disk

Hi,

I have been trying to use GitHub - cloudbase/windows-imaging-tools: Tools to automate the creation of a Windows image for OpenStack, supporting KVM, Hyper-V, ESXi and more. to create a windows 2019 UEFI image. I have created an image that works if I boot it within a hyper V environment it boot and works. I have checked the image and there are Curtain folders there and I have updated the unattend.xml to include a UEFI boot partition. I use tar.gz for the image compression and MAAS and RAW for the target and image type. I can explore the image with 7zip and see partitions.

However, watching boot under maas direction. It boots up to the point it calls the system to lay down the raw image on the disk with this command
installing in ‘custom’ mode to ‘nvme0n1’
writing image to disk {‘type’: ‘dd-gz’, ‘uri’: ‘http://172.30.0.34:5248/images/custom/amd64/generic/WinServer2019DatacenterUEFI/uploaded/root-dd.gz’}, nvme0n1
Running command [‘sh’, ‘-c’, ‘wget “$1” --progress=dot:mega -O - |zcat| dd bs=4M of="$2"’, ‘–’, ‘http://172.30.0.34:5248/images/custom/amd64/generic/WinServer2019DatacenterUEFI/uploaded/root-dd.gz’, ‘/dev/nvme0n1’] with allowed return codes [0] (capture=False)

it connects okay and downloads the image up to 100%

Connecting to 172.30.0.34:5248... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 5067667121 (4.7G) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: ‘STDOUT’

4939776K … … … … … … 99% 45.8M 0s
4942848K … … … … … … 99% 2.73M 0s
4945920K … … … … … … 100% 331K=93s

and then displays this Error output

2022-07-11 20:31:59 (51.8 MB/s) - written to stdout [5067667121/5067667121]
    0+404225 records in
    0+404225 records out
    13245634560 bytes (13 GB, 12 GiB) copied, 100.016 s, 132 MB/s
    Running command ['partprobe', '/dev/nvme0n1'] with allowed return codes [0] (capture=False)
    Running command ['udevadm', 'trigger', '/dev/nvme0n1'] with allowed return codes [0] (capture=False)
    Running command ['udevadm', 'settle'] with allowed return codes [0] (capture=False)
    TIMED udevadm_settle(): 0.159
    Running command ['vgchange', '--activate=y'] with allowed return codes [0] (capture=True)
    Running command ['udevadm', 'settle'] with allowed return codes [0] (capture=False)
    TIMED udevadm_settle(): 0.015
    Searching for filesystem on ['nvme0n1'] containing one of: ['curtin', 'system-data/var/lib/snapd', 'snaps']
    Running command ['lsblk', '--noheadings', '--bytes', '--pairs', '--output=ALIGNMENT,DISC-ALN,DISC-GRAN,DISC-MAX,DISC-ZERO,FSTYPE,GROUP,KNAME,LABEL,LOG-SEC,MAJ:MIN,MIN-IO,MODE,MODEL,MOUNTPOINT,NAME,OPT-IO,OWNER,PHY-SEC,RM,RO,ROTA,RQ-SIZE,SIZE,STATE,TYPE,UUID', '/dev/nvme0n1'] with allowed return codes [0] (capture=True)
    TIMED BLOCK_META: 107.183
    finish: cmd-install/stage-partitioning/builtin/cmd-block-meta: FAIL: curtin command block-meta
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/curtin/curtin/commands/main.py", line 202, in main
        ret = args.func(args)
      File "/curtin/curtin/log.py", line 97, in wrapper
        return log_time("TIMED %s: " % msg, func, *args, **kwargs)
      File "/curtin/curtin/log.py", line 79, in log_time
        return func(*args, **kwargs)
      File "/curtin/curtin/commands/block_meta.py", line 113, in block_meta
        return meta_simple(args)
      File "/curtin/curtin/commands/block_meta.py", line 2128, in meta_simple
        rootdev = write_image_to_disk(dd_images[0], devname)
      File "/curtin/curtin/commands/block_meta.py", line 171, in write_image_to_disk
        return block.get_root_device([devname], paths=paths)
      File "/curtin/curtin/block/__init__.py", line 760, in get_root_device
        raise ValueError(
    ValueError: Did not find any filesystem on ['nvme0n1'] that contained one of ['curtin', 'system-data/var/lib/snapd', 'snaps']
    Did not find any filesystem on ['nvme0n1'] that contained one of ['curtin', 'system-data/var/lib/snapd', 'snaps']

I am struggling to understand what isnt working to get the raw image, onto the server?

Any help or direction to how to solve this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Screenshot of RAW image

I believe I have the wrong filetype tgz… it should have been ddtgz

maas boot-resources create name=‘windows/HCI.07.2022’ title=‘HCI.07.2022’ architecture=‘amd64/generic’ filetype=‘ddtgz’ content@=HCI.tgz

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.