Using ddraw images

Hello all
I am trying to upload customized images to MaaS in the ddraw/ddtgz format. While i can upload the image both as type ‘custom’ or type osname e.g suse/ubuntu, the deployment behaviour seems to differ.E.g
and image uploaded as such

maas admin boot-resources create name=‘suse/sles15.3’ title=‘Suse-Custom’ architecture=‘amd64/generic’ filetype=‘ddraw’ content@=./disk.raw -d

when deployed as custom Suse image , still tries to download the root-tgz file but if i upload it as

maas admin boot-resources create name=‘custom/sles15.3’ title=‘Suse-Custom’ architecture=‘amd64/generic’ filetype=‘ddraw’ content@=./disk.raw -d

when deployed as custom image , downloads the root-dd correctly.

Is this expected behaviour ?

Thanks

where is the ddraw image format documented? i’d like to read about it, but can’t find it on Google.

Hi @venkatnsrinivasan!

Indeed, when you provide suse as an OS identifier, MAAS behaves differently compared to custom. Basically, we have slightly different logic for some of the OS identifiers to ensure better compatibility. This applies to custom OS as well, and sometimes it leads to situations like the one you describe.

So, it is expected, but is not desired — we’re doing our best to handle images consistently, regardless of the OS specified. We would be glad if you could file a bug about this