Upgrade to v2.8.7 installs UI for 3.0?

When 2.8.7 was released to the PPA repo, our controllers updated, and seemed to inherit the UI for 3.0, as well. I can no longer open subnet details pages, as it errors out looking for a method that doesn’t exist in 2.8.7 (namely, known_boot_architectures):

2021-09-27 13:18:24 twisted.internet.defer: [critical] Unhandled error in Deferred:
2021-09-27 13:18:24 twisted.internet.defer: [critical]
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/asyncioreactor.py", line 267, in run
        self._asyncioEventloop.run_forever()
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/asyncioreactor.py", line 290, in run
        f(*args, **kwargs)
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 459, in callback
        self._startRunCallbacks(result)
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 567, in _startRunCallbacks
        self._runCallbacks()
    --- <exception caught here> ---
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 653, in _runCallbacks
        current.result = callback(current.result, *args, **kw)
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/maasserver/websockets/protocol.py", line 140, in authenticated
        self.processMessages()
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/maasserver/websockets/protocol.py", line 278, in processMessages
        if self.handleRequest(message, msg_type) is None:
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/maasserver/websockets/protocol.py", line 324, in handleRequest
        d = handler.execute(method, message.get("params", {}))
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/provisioningserver/prometheus/utils.py", line 126, in wrapper
        result = func(*args, **kwargs)
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/provisioningserver/utils/twisted.py", line 142, in wrapper
        return func(*args, **kwargs)
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/maasserver/websockets/base.py", line 421, in execute
        raise HandlerNoSuchMethodError(method_name)
    maasserver.websockets.base.HandlerNoSuchMethodError: known_boot_architectures

There are other differences, as well. The controllers page no longer shows the running version (shows as Unknown), can’t view commissioning script details, etc.

Is there any way to get back to a 2.8 UI version?

@pjonason, thanks for letting us know. we’ll dig into it right away.

@pjonason, this is the page you can’t get to?

and you couldn’t see this page?

i just rebuilt 2.8.7 packages to overcome an error that was introduced in that initial build. these screens are from that new build. did you drop back to 2.8.6, or are you still broken pending a 2.8.7 fix?

Yes, correct, the subnet details page never loads. For commissioning scripts, I was referring to the Settings tab, under Scripts | Commissioning Scripts. Normally you can click on the name/arrow and see the contents of the script, but mine says “Server connection failed” and returns to the Settings main page. The region.log on that action shows that it fails when it can’t find the get_script method. There are other “quirks” - as I reported above the Controllers tab shows all controllers at an Unknown version; the Images tab displays one of our custom images 17 times, and is missing other images; the Machines tab will show PCI and USB devices tabs, but I’m pretty sure that’s a 3.0 feature not yet available - we also get “Server connection failed” on those tabs.

We have not reverted, as the API seems OK underneath, and I was hoping there would be a way to replace only the UI portion.

okay, thanks. i see i need to do a little more adjusting on this version, thanks for the input and clue-ing me into the issues. will let you know when we have this resolved and can get you a clean 2.8.7.

2 Likes

@pjonason, just out of curiosity, are you using snap or package installs of MAAS? i’ve been assuming packages, but… could you also give me the build numbers at the bottom of the MAAS UI screen? and, of course, you’re running on bionic. i’d like to confirm some things.

@billwear Sure, no problem. We are on packages, build 2.8.7 (8610-g.4a04daa43-0ubuntu1~18.04.1), running on bionic.

thanks. that’s what i needed!

@pjonason, a new version of 2.8.7 is up. on my end, i can’t reproduce your issues with it, except maybe the Settings–>Scripts–>Commissioning scripts list isn’t populating properly at times (legitimate bug?). don’t know your update process, but the build is 2.8.7-8611-g.f2514168f-0ubuntu1~18.04.1. lmk if it fixes these issues for you.

@billwear That seemed to do the trick. Thanks much!

2 Likes

very glad to hear it! np.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.