This VLAN is not currently being utilised on any rack controller

Running MAAS v3.2.2.
I have a network setup with an untagged network and multiple tagged VLANs.
I am using a single Region+Track controller.

When I go to enable DHCP on a tagged VLAN, I have the option to provide DHCP from a rack controller or relay to another VLAN.

I am unable to select “Provide DHCP from rack controller(s)” with a message in the GUI that:
“This VLAN is not currently being utilised on any rack controller”

In the past, probably under v2.x, I was able to provide DHCP from the rack controller.
Are there steps to connect the VLAN to the rack controller or ???

1 Like

@jeffkight, can you post a screenshot of your subnets tab?

Note, I am able to create functioning VMs on all the VLANs, with Static assign or Auto assign.

Hmmm… under Controllers -> VLANs I only see the untagged VLAN.

On Controllers -> maas.maas -> Network I only see the untagged network.
Do I need to configure each of the VLANs on the controller for it to be able to provide DHCP?

@jeffkight, we’re working on reproducing your topology here, so we can pin this down. i’m seeing the same weirdness with the UI, but i can do it with the CLI. more as soon as i can get it to you.

I believe I’ve nailed this one down, after talking to Bill internally. I have a reproducer (a simple VM with MAAS 3.2.2 installed) with your VLANs configured manually in MAAS (Add → VLAN, Add → Subnet for each defined VLAN).

Then on the rack controller itself, I updated my netplan YAML with the following:

vlans:
   vlan.108:
        id: 108
        link: enp7s0
        addresses: [172.16.12.64/26]
   vlan.109:
        id: 109
        addresses: [172.16.12.128/26]
   vlan.110:
        id: 110
        addresses: [172.16.12.192/26]
   vlan.111:
        id: 111
        addresses: [172.16.13.0/26]
   vlan.112:
        id: 112
        addresses: [172.16.13.64/26]
   vlan.113:
        id: 113
        addresses: [172.16.13.128/26]
   vlan.114:
        id: 114
        addresses: [172.16.13.192/26]

Once that was done, netplan apply sets those values. I went back into MAAS, and for each VLAN, enabled DHCP on that rack controller (the dropdown allows me to select the rack controller itself). Saved, and proceeded through the rest of the list.

The end result looks like the following:

Does this help solve your current issue?

Well, life is a journey…

• I updated the Netplan and applied it.
  • I realized I used 172.16.x.y instead of 172.20.x.y, so I fixed the Netplan and updated again.
  • I still had remanent subnets listed, so I deleted, via the GUI, each of the 172.16.x.y subnets
  • I restarted maas to make sure everything was clean
  • I now have error on all my VMs (KVM based)
  • I no longer can compose a VM on KVM host
  • I rebooted KVM hosts and they are failing in networking on cloud-init

Jeff, inside each of those VLANs, are you also configuring the default gateway, so machines provisioned on them are wired up to the correct network(s)?

You should be able to click on each subnet in the Subnets page, then click on [Edit] in the upper right corner, and set a default gateway for each discrete VLAN and network.

If you don’t, they’ll be set to the default gateway of the rack controller, which will almost certainly be incorrect in your topology here.

Try that and see if that helps!

Yes, when I go into the subnet details, the subnet summary shows the correct gateways are still defined.

Do I need to put an IP address on each of those VLANs… I wonder if that is the issue… seems to be connection focused.

@jeffkight, ever get this resolved?

I followed “https://maas.io/docs/snap/2.8/cli/rack-controllers” for installing rack-controller.
then, "sudo maas init region+rack --database-uri “postgres://maaskelv:***@localhost/maasdb”.
Remotely login, there is only region controller available, no rack controller, and DHCP is disable(in fact, DHCP is working with offering IPs).
I am not sure whether my lab environment is not under ubuntu UA license?

hey, @jeffkight, ever get this one figured out?

I made a stupid mistake for production enviornment, the rack controller shouldn’t installed on the same machine of the region controller

I am also experiencing this issue.

I created a new VLAN, configured it on my MAAS controllers (via netplan) but it isn’t detected on the networking tab on either controller so unable to deploy DHCP.

Greetings group.

I am setting up a MAAS test server, went to go add vlans, and hit the same snag. The screenshots and discussions is the exact problem that I am having, but I do not see a solution.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Troy

So this one’s been marinating a while, fair game for spitballing by the MAAS technical author. Does any of this help?

• Double check that the VLAN interfaces are configured correctly on the rack controller itself, with the proper IDs, links, and IP addresses assigned. Make sure you run netplan apply after any changes.
  • Verify that the subnets are defined properly in MAAS for each VLAN, with the correct network, gateway, and DNS info.
  • Check that the rack controller is physically connected to the networks/VLANs, e.g. if using a managed switch, confirm the ports are configured for the right VLANs.
  • Try removing and re-adding the rack controller in MAAS to force it to re-detect the available networks.
  • Check the rack controller logs at /var/log/maas for any errors related to the VLANs or DHCP.
  • As a test, try enabling DHCP on just one VLAN at a time and see if any work properly.
  • Consider setting a static IP address on the VLAN interface as you mentioned, in case there are DHCP conflicts.
  • Try restarting the rack controller and confirm it reconnects okay to MAAS and the VLANs.
  • As a last resort, reinstall the rack controller completely following the documentation to see if that resolves any networking issues.

No great clues here, but at least you’d be doing something.