PXE - MAAS-provided DHCP problems for default VLAN

Hej,

I’m running MAAS (snap) 3.0.0-rc1. It’s been running fine since early May, running as a region+rackd unit. Last week I added another rackd. After that, PXE booting does not work. I’ve removed the new rackd, hoping that it would fix it, but no change happened wrt. PXE function. So, I re-added it.

Initially, I noticed that the /var/snap/maas/common/dhcpd.conf only contained the interfaces that had ‘MAAS-provided’, that were NOT default VLANS, i.e. only VLANS >0.

Disabling, then re-enabling (a couple of times) DHCP for the default VLANs seems to have solved this, as now they are showing up in the dhcpd.conf file. I noticed no difference if it is the original region+rackd or the new rackd that acts as primary DHCP.

This (updated dhcpd.conf) gave me some hope, but looking at the /var/snap/maas/common/log/dhcpd.log (or /var/snap/maas/common/maas/dhcpd-interfaces), it does not contain the new interfaces (dhcpd.conf), it only shows the old interfaces (VLAN>0). It seems that the log file has been updated at the same time as the dhcpd.conf was updated, hopefully indicating that it was restarted as the config changed.

BR/Patrik

Hi,

it’s hard to say what the problem is. But it could be a bug, so it would be good file file one at https://launchpad.net/maas/+filebug

To debug, I’ll need the output from maas $profile subnets read and maas $profile rack-controllers, as well as dhcpd.conf, maas.log, regiond.log and rackd.log.

Hi,

Hrm, submitted as https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1929581.

The log info should still be there, but as I had to solve the problem of not having hosts PXE booting, I disabled this MAAS, and deployed another in parallel (I realized now that I might have opened a can of worms, due to the auto enlist/commision, in case one of the operational hosts’ restarts).

Have no idea how it works, but I’ve worked with DHCPd a couple of times. Perhaps the dhcpd-interfaces file needs to be updated, at the same time as DHCP.conf. That would be my guess.

Hopefully, you will see something that can help you.

BR/Patrik