PXE Boot failed on machine: Dell OptiPlex 7090 Small Form Factor

Hello,
There seems to be a configuration issue with OptiPlex 7090 Small Form Factor which causes it to fail PXE boot with MAAS.

The boot gets stuck on (initramfs) with the following failures

ipconfig: BOOTIF: STOGIFINDEX: No such device
ipconfig: no devices to configure

The ethernet is working fine on the Ubuntu OS and I can see its MAC address and IP. I know that the server is working fine as we have other machines deployed on MAAS (i.e. OptiPlex 7050 Small Form Factor, Lenovo). The BIOS is also on the latest version.

Could there be something that I’m missing? Any help is appreciated.

What Maas version are you using?

Are the NIC models on the others machines the same?

Maybe it’s not detecting your NIC. If you could boot from USB and check if it’s detected and which model it is, that’s be helpful.

In MAAS you could try a different distribution or version.

Hi,
The version is MAAS 3.4.1

Hi,
Thank you for your suggestions. The models are slightly different.
on another machine(7050): Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (5) I219-LM
7090: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (14) I219-LM (rev 11)

I could boot off USB and download Ubuntu fine without a problem, it’s only when I’m trying to boot off PXE to MAAS that it fails. It had also failed previously with Ubuntu 18.04, the same with Ubuntu 20.04.

They are the same model so I don’t think that should be a problem.

Are you able to commission them at all into MAAS? Which Ubuntu version do you have configured for commissioning?

If you’re, please check which NICs are detected before the actual deployment.

Also, try to check the rackd logs for errors related to vnet (some users reported that here previously).

I am commissioning all to MAAS version 3.4.1

It looks like the NIC cannot be detected…

Begin: running /scripts/init-premount ... cloud-initramfs-dyn-netconf: did no find nic with [mac address] 

rackd logs shown no errors. Any suggestion on how I can fix nic detection issues? Thank you in advance.