MAAS is often used in charmed deployments, and in BootStack we have developed a barebone charm to add monitoring to MAAS.
I think a proper, official MAAS charm would be a terrific addition to the charm ecosystem.
To avoid a sort of chicken and egg problem this could be a charm focused only (or only at first) on day 2 operations and monitoring (i.e. not support deploying MAAS).
I can see the following features as being extremely useful:
- actions to restore postgres replication after a failover (or auto-healing)
- easy integration with charmed observability stacks
- proper integration with other charms (e.g. ntp)
- actions to facilitate backups (and integration with backup charms like duplicity or juju-backup-all)
- actions to facilitate upgrades