No cores and memory accepted when creating VM on LXD host

@ben-ihelputech, i’ve seen this before. i’ll try to look into this during this week.

1 Like

Hi @ben-ihelputech, I was able to deploy a LXD host manually and connect it to MaaS without issue.

My ‘rough’ process was this:

1. In MaaS, deploy Ubuntu 20.04 on a physical server utilizing bridge interfaces to the networks you wish your VM’s to connect to.
  2. SSH into the server, issue:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt-get purge -y *lxd* *lxc*
sudo apt-get autoremove -y
sudo snap install lxd
sudo snap refresh lxd --channel=5.6/stable
# When I issued install lxd, it installed version 4.0.9; branch - 4.0/stable, so I had to do a refresh to get the latest.
sudo lxd init
Would you like to use LXD clustering? (yes/no) [default=no]: yes
What IP address or DNS name should be used to reach this node? [default=<REDACTED>]:
Are you joining an existing cluster? (yes/no) [default=no]:
What name should be used to identify this node in the cluster? [default=<SERVER NAME>]:
Setup password authentication on the cluster? (yes/no) [default=no]:
Do you want to configure a new local storage pool? (yes/no) [default=yes]:
Name of the storage backend to use (dir, lvm, zfs, btrfs) [default=zfs]: dir
Do you want to configure a new remote storage pool? (yes/no) [default=no]:
Would you like to connect to a MAAS server? (yes/no) [default=no]: yes
What's the name of this host in MAAS? [default=<SERVER NAME>]:
URL of your MAAS server (e.g. http://1.2.3.4:5240/MAAS): http://<MASS IP>:5240/MAAS
API key for your MAAS server: <REDACTED>
Would you like to configure LXD to use an existing bridge or host interface? (yes/no) [default=no]: yes
Name of the existing bridge or host interface: br0
Is this interface connected to your MAAS server? (yes/no) [default=yes]:
MAAS IPv4 subnet name for this interface (empty for no subnet): <SUBNET>/24
MAAS IPv6 subnet name for this interface (empty for no subnet):
Would you like stale cached images to be updated automatically? (yes/no) [default=yes]
Would you like a YAML "lxd init" preseed to be printed? (yes/no) [default=no]:
  1. Once finished, I logged into MaaS, KVM tab, ‘Add LXD Host’. This gave me a LXD key to trust and respective command to issue (copy/paste from gui to server): lxc config trust add - <<EOF ....

Once issued on the physical server, the host was successfully added to MaaS and so far, I was able to virtualize resources on MaaS, commission & deploy VMs without issues so far.

@ben-ihelputech, when you say, “1. Deploy machine using machine on ubuntu focal with maas” – wdym?

I just used the MAAS web ui to deploy 3 bare metal host using ubuntu 20.04 as the operating system. Looks like I had a typo in the previous post now that I have re-read it. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

okay, so @ben-ihelputech, let’s reconnect on this issue: solved? ongoing?

Haven’t tested on the most recent latest/stable of MaaS or LXD. Went a different route at the time.

1 Like

@billwear I retested this issue and was not able to reproduce it in the latest stable versions of maas and LXD. I’m going to assume it is safe to mark it as resolved on my end.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.