New MAAS weirdness…every target asks for pxelinux/pxelinux.0…even if they don’t

I am amazed to find yet more weirdness in MAAS. Just built a new MAAS server fresh from apt (not snap, that just brings more weirdness) version 3.1 (3.2 had too many bugs to deal with) and now every server fails to boot to MAAS. Journalctl -f output shows that, although my DHCP server is telling my targets to ask for ‘grubx64.efi’, MAAS tftp service is logging that they are asking for ‘pxelinux/pxelinux.0’. I know they are not asking for pxelinux. But of course on MAAS tftp is not tftp, it’s something fabricated to further the MAAS philosophy of strict adherence to MAAS procedure, and not using your own DHCP under any circumstances. I guess I have to read the MAAS source code to figure out what is going on.

@amdjfk, it is open source, so you are welcome to read the source code to figure it out. please let me know what you find.

if you maybe want some help, you could pass us a pcap of your raw DHCP traffic – maybe even the whole deployment attempt – but definitely including the outgoing netboot requests from your target machines with grubx64.efi and the responses from whatever server you have set up to provide that bootloader. otherwise, we don’t really have enough information to help.