Networking in MAAS

HI All,

Thanks to the help from the community I am able to successfully setup a dell server using MAAS.

Now I have couple of questions with respect to Networking.

1. As shown below when I login into the server I can see that there are 2 physical ports which are UP

$ ip addr show
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
    2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 84:2b:2b:0c:5d:97 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp1s0f0
    inet 10.10.10.167/24 brd 10.10.10.255 scope global eno1
    inet6 fe80::862b:2bff:fe0c:5d97/64 scope link
    3: eno2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 84:2b:2b:0c:5d:99 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp1s0f1
    inet6 fe80::862b:2bff:fe0c:5d99/64 scope link
    4: eno3: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 84:2b:2b:0c:5d:9b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp2s0f0
    5: eno4: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 84:2b:2b:0c:5d:9d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp2s0f1

But in MAAS UI I can only see one interface is UP. Is this an issue?

1. I want to combine 2 ports as a portchannel i.e. en01 and en02 as part of deployment so that once the server is UP instead of single physical L3 interface i will have L3 Portchannel interface. But as the second interface is not detected I am not able to create a bond interface when the system is in READY stage.

It appears that you have successfully set up your Dell server using MAAS, but you are encountering an issue with network interfaces not being recognized correctly in the MAAS UI, particularly when trying to create a bond interface (port channel). Here’s some YMMV opinions about how you might address this issue:

1. Check Hardware Compatibility: Ensure that both eno1 and eno2 are physically connected and recognized by the server hardware. Check for any hardware-related issues or driver compatibility problems that might be causing one of the interfaces not to be detected.
  2. Verify Driver and Firmware: Make sure that you have the correct network drivers installed and that the firmware for both network interfaces (eno1 and eno2) is up to date. Outdated firmware or missing drivers can cause issues with interface detection.
  3. Check Network Configuration: Verify that the network cables and configurations for eno1 and eno2 are correct. Ensure they are both configured to operate in the same network and subnet.
  4. MAAS UI Configuration:
  • In the MAAS UI, go to the “Machines” tab and select your server.
  • Click on the “Interfaces” section to view the detected interfaces.
  • If only one interface (eno1) is shown as UP, it may indicate that the other interface (eno2) is not being detected correctly.
  1. Troubleshoot Interface Detection:
  • On the server, you can try running the following command to manually bring up the eno2 interface and see if it gets detected by MAAS:

sudo ip link set eno2 up

• After running the command, check the MAAS UI again to see if the second interface is now recognized.

1. Check MAAS Version: Ensure that you are using an up-to-date version of MAAS. Sometimes, issues related to hardware detection and interface recognition are resolved in newer MAAS releases.

You might also keep backups, if relevant, while you’re trying this procedure.

Hi @billwear

As I replied in my initial post, en02 is UP as shown in below output

$ ip link show 
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 84:2b:2b:0c:5d:97 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp1s0f0
3: eno2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 84:2b:2b:0c:5d:99 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    altname enp1s0f1

en02 is part of the same nic card which contains 4 ports, so i dont think each port has a different firmware version as they are part of same NIC card

I tried shutting down the port and power it up on server end and can see that port going down and coming back up on switch end. Still in MAAS UI I dont see any changes where it shows port disconnected.

1 Like

i’ll have to dig on this one. might take me day or so.

@codingfreak, can you get me some commissioning script output? one of our engineers has experienced this, but it turned out to be a physical disconnect (missing wire). i’d like to confirm. you could also just run “Validate networking configuration” (there’s a button for this in the UI) and see what you get.

“when all else fails, blame the hardware”

@billwear … sorry for the delayed reply.

Looks like BMC of the server is powered off and I need to manually power it up.
I am still able to ping the host ip address but not the ip address of the BMC.
Will try to manually power up the device and share the requested output.