MAAS UI: bi-weekly update #3

Hey MAASters!

Our UI team is back with an update on our work in the past two weeks!

Single SPA

The MAAS UI project is now in its second phase of migrating into ReactJS. Due to some legacy code from our angular 1.X app, we migrated both apps into single SPA. Our templating issues in CSS are now fixed, but some static assets in twister needs to work properly. The team is working on finalizing the work for the 2.8 release.

Documentation Research

In this cycle, we want to take a step back and look into our MAAS documentation. There are many areas of improvements for our documentation from understanding how our users are using it and from the technical writer’s perspective. In this iteration we started working on the initial research for and understanding how we can help our users look for contexts that they need either personalised or generic. We hope to create better engagement in the documentation and increase discoverability for topics that our audiences are looking for. Stay tuned for more information and if you would like to add your view please leave us a comment on MAAS Docs Feedback. Your feedback is a gift.

NUMA aware VMs

NUMA aware VMs have been our focus since the previous cycle and in this cycle, we are going to build them as part of our React migration work. This is the 6th iteration of our design for NUMA node storage labels to show NUMA details of the KVMs. Thanks to our Visual Designer, Lyubo, we now have a more robust design that helps us utilize the white spaces better.

The Future of Logs

Here is a little preview of the future of our logs in MAAS. After discovering some flaws in the previous design, we have revisited a few places that our users struggled with during our testing session. We have added an accelerator for the logs using the map and color indication on the scrollbar to show a preview of where the closest error/warning is at. We have also regrouped a few components such as the time functionality and the search functionality to a closer proximity to our target area (termal) in order to reduce delay in the interaction. We are still working on the final version of this log and waiting for feedback from the team going forward.