Maas bond interface : Windows not detect the interface

Hello everybody,

I created a windows 2019 server image to be used in maas, but windows is only detecting the real interfaces and not detecting the bond interface created in the maas system.

Any information or tips for detecting and using the interface created in maas.

Hey, @mrcardoso!

So I don’t do Windows :), but I can take a crack at this. Knowing just enough about Windows to be clumsy, I’d say it’s possible that the bond interface created in MAAS may not be automatically detected by Windows. Remember how hard it can be to get a printer working with Windows, for example. Here are a few tips – from deep in my tortured past – that might help you detect and use the interface:

1. Verify the network configuration: Ensure that the bond interface is properly configured in MAAS. Double-check the bond configuration settings, such as mode, bonding options, and associated physical interfaces. If MAAS can’t recognize it, Windows sure isn’t going to do so.
  2. Install the proper drivers: This is the biggie for Windows devices, as I remember. Ensure that you have installed the appropriate drivers for the network interfaces in your Windows 2019 server image. Without the proper drivers, there’s very little chance that Windows will detect or utilize the bond interface. Maybe check the manufacturer’s website for the latest drivers for your network hardware?
  3. Check device manager: Open the Device Manager in Windows and spelunk for any unrecognized or missing network devices. If the bond interface is not detected, it may appear as an unknown device or with an error icon. Right-click on the device and try “Update Driver” to manually install the drivers if necessary.
  4. Configure network settings: Once the bond interface is detected by Windows, you may still need to configure its network settings. Assign the appropriate IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS settings to the bond interface to ensure proper network connectivity.

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, it may be helpful to consult the device documentation or reach out to the device community or support channels for further assistance. They may have specific guidance or workarounds for using bond interfaces with Windows images.

I really hope this helps at least a little; if you have any further questions, feel free to ask.