MAAS 3.4 Beta1 is available

We are excited to announce the release of MAAS 3.4 Beta1, featuring new enhancements and numerous bug fixes. This release focuses on improving MAAS on multiple fronts, including a redesigned user interface, DGX kernel support, configurable session timeout, Ansible playbook enhancements, and observability configuration with Ansible.

The notable features in MAAS 3.4 Beta1 include a redesigned user interface with comprehensive and compact navigation on the left side of the screen. The UI also introduces discreet pop-up boxes for navigation within panels to provide a better user experience. Additionally, there is ongoing work to optimize the kernel for Nvidia DGX machines, ensuring that DGX machines use the optimized kernel by default. Users can now configure their session timeouts according to their preferences. Ansible enhancements include full support for PostgreSQL HA setup and the ability to configure observability with Ansible.

To install MAAS 3.4 Beta1, you can use the following commands:

• Fresh snap install: $ sudo snap install --channel=latest/edge maas
  • Upgrade from an earlier snap version: $ sudo snap refresh --channel=latest/edge maas
  • Initialize MAAS 3.4 snap for a test or POC environment: $ sudo maas init --help

For a fresh install using packages, MAAS 3.3 is compatible with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. You can use the following commands to set up an initial MAAS environment:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maas/3.4-next
sudo apt update
sudo apt-get -y install maas

For more information and detailed instructions, please refer to the release notes for MAAS 3.4 Beta1. You can also find release notes for previous versions of MAAS linked there.

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to your feedback and contributions to improve MAAS.

1 Like

@billwear I just tried to upgrade from 3.4.0 beta 1 to beta 2 and getting the following DB upgrade error:

django.db.utils.DataError: setval: value 0 is out of bounds for sequence “maasserver_fabric_id_seq” (1…9223372036854775807)

Anything I can do to fix this?

i’m asking around atm, let me see what i can find out.

Thanks, I have several environments running on beta1, so I do need a way to make it through the DB upgrade. I can test solutions with my personal environment, for which I have a backup that I can use to revert from unsuccessful upgrades.

1 Like

Hi @billwear, thanks for the ongoing great work from your team. We’re interested in learning more about the plans for improving DGX kernel support. When I looked through the release notes I didn’t see anything. Is there a place we can look to get additional detail on the changes and roadmap?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @benhunt, thank you for your continued support and appreciation for our team’s work. We want to be completely transparent with our users, so we’re excited to share some early results as we explore the capabilities of DGX. However, it’s important to note that we still have a lot of work ahead of us to fully leverage the kernel and deliver a comprehensive release.

At this moment, we haven’t shared all the roadmap details, but we’re actively working on it. We understand your interest in learning more about the plans for improving DGX kernel support. While the release notes may not provide the specific information you’re seeking, we are exploring options to make additional details available.

We appreciate your patience and enthusiasm, and we’ll make sure to keep you updated as we progress further. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Thank you for being such a big part of our community!

@billwear never mind, I ended up reinstalling the MaaS server. In the other environments the issue did not occur and the upgrade to beta2 and beta3 went smoothly.

1 Like

well, glad it fixed itself. these things still haunt me, tho… :slight_smile:

It didn’t really fix itself; I had to replace it with a fresh install. But it seems this server had just gotten into a semi-broken state on beta1 at some point, causing upgrades to no longer work, among some other issues as well. So replacing it made sense anyway.

It would be useful if the config (especially the registered machines) could be exported & imported, that would make reinstalls a lot easier.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.