Kernel panic during first PXE boot

What does VFS: Cannot open root device … or unknown-block(0,0): error -6 mean?
All other machines are auto-detected using PXE boot without kernel panic but not this one.
How to debug?

Output from the console during PXE boot of this machine:

Any ideas?

//Bjorn

This usually means the machine can’t reach MAAS to get the rootfs.

It could be either a network issue or a driver missing in the inirtd for the specific network interface.

What kind of machine is this and what is the brand/model of the network interface?

You are right!
It is a standard i40e driver. So it should just work.
A network topology glitch blocked PXE on this interface. Now I know the problem is in the infrastructure, so I started checked why it does it.

On closer examination, the glitch could be the interface:
18:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XXV710 for 25GbE SFP28 (rev 02)

It could be this problem: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006139/ethernet-products/intel-10-gigabit-ethernet-network-connection.html

But I am not sure.

I’ll try to update the NVM.

It seems there is no configuration of this network card that makes this work. I have decided to create a LXD server manually. The network card seems to have a bug regarding PXE booting, but everything else works.

I have come across this issue but it only happens when the nodes are booting UEFI/HTTP.
The nodes network boot fine when UEFI/PXE or BIOS(legacy)/PXE.
Our nodes are Wiwynn Tioga pass.

Is it possible to turn off HTTP network boot in MAAS?

I am running version 3.0.

Thanks,
Dan

@ashy250611, did you ever figure this one out yet?

No. We changed the systems to legacy bios and the systems booted.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

For the posterity, in case you are using virsh and you are hitting this issue please ensure you have enabled VirtIO as boot device as per screenshot