How to proper have MAAS handling IPs. - VLANs question

Hey folks.

Brand new here with MAAS, but very close to deploy to a large scale.

Right now I’m the first steps.
Have one MAAS region+rackd installation.

This one has two NICs, eth0 is the one going to the internet, and eth2 (10gb nic) it has 10.10.10.0/25 subnet for MAAS to PXE boot.

We call this 10.10.10.0/25 as Build Network and its a VLAN 100, and its only have 128 IPs free for MAAS handle the DHCP.

The idea is to have our Dell servers booting up on VLAN100 (switch port is configured as VLAN100), so when the server comes up, it boots on PXE and find MAAS-SERVER (10.10.10.10).

MAAS-SERVER is leasing IPs from 10.10.10.15-127.

The idea is to have servers booting on VLAN100, have the Ubuntu or Windows installed, and then later we moved them out of Build Network (VLAN100).

Currently we have around 8 different VLANs and subnets.
For example:
VLAN100 - Unttaged = 10.46.130.128/25 = MAAS_PXE
VLAN200 = 10.10.20.0/25 = DEVs
VLAN300 = 10.10.20.128/25 = QA
VLAN400 = 10.10.30.0/24 = MONITORING
VLAN500 = 10.10.40.0/24 = DMZ

And continue with different VLANs.

My problem is to understand how I can have servers, that are ready to be deployed, to have the correct IP assigned.

All the IPs will be needed to be assigned static/manually.

In this example I have this server already deployed, but its using the IP from MAAS_PXE.

What I need its to be able to deploy with an IP from QA for example.

In this example, the server is in NEW state, and ready to be deployed.
If I configure like that and start the deployment of a new OS.

• The server will be powered ON.
  • Server will PXE boot into MAAS_PXE and grab an IP from 10.46.130.128/25 subnet
  • MAAS will change the network config to 10.10.20.132
  • Now the deployment process will get stuck, since 10.10.20.132 cannot reach out to MAAS -SERVER (10.10.10.10).
  • NIC1 which is being used for PXE boot its connected to switch port with VLAN100 (MAAS_PXE).
  • I know that IP 10.10.20.132 will not work on VLAN100.

But my question is how is the proper way to have this deployment sucessful?

All my network is based on switch ports with the proper VLAN.
Once the server boots on MAAS_PXE VLAN, its fine, but this same port will be moved out to a different VLAN.

Its VLAN tagging + trunk necessary?

Or have PXE boot into a 2nd interface and use the NIC1 for other VLANs?

The problem to have two interfaces, is that now all the servers can communicate with each other using MAAS_PXE, which it cannot happen.

All this MAAS + Network its kind confusing for me.
Can someone shed some lights?

Thanks folks

Hello Jonior,

I understand exactly what you are trying to do but every network topology is different I’ll try to explain.
New and ready are 2 different maas stages, you need metadata from maas to communicate with every server that maas will manage if maas will manage diferrent vlans its better to trunk the port on every server and maas.

1 Like

@junior-c, did you ever get this resolved?

@billwear Yes.

The trick is to make your Layer 3 switch to DHCP-RELAY all your other VLANs to your PXE VLAN + IP (MAAS IP).

Then you need to add VLANs to the same Fabric you are working on it.
On the new VLANs you created, you need to Relay DHCP to your MAAS-PROVIDED unttaged one.

There is also another trick.

For each VLAN you add and each subnet, you need to make a DYNAMIC reservation.

Once the server boots on PXE on any VLAN, it will forward the PXE request to the proper MAAS server and from there everything is just fine.

wow! nice. network wizardry.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.