How to get MAAS Essential for a managed machine to use RBAC?

For a few months, I have been researching how to get MAAS Essential for my POC. I mainly want to try the RBAC feature so I can have different users access only their assigned bare-metal server.

I have contacted someone at Ubuntu, but they don’t seem to know how MAAS works… and eventually they don’t respond. I was even assigned a regional rep but she doesn’t know anything except what’s on the website.

For my POC, I have a 1U bare-metal region controller and a 1U bare-metal rack controller.
I have two 1U bare-metal that I want to assign to two different users and each user should not see the other server. Basically the MAAS Essential RBAC feature.

-Do I need UA-I Essential for region controller, rack controller, and all managed bare-metal machines?
-Is the $30 MAAS Essential only needed for the managed bare-metal servers?
-Would the 3 free personal tokens for UA-I Essential work with MAAS Essential? Or do I have to pay $225 for an actual Enterprise token for UA-I Essential?
-After I attached the token for UA-I to region and rack controller, how do I get MAAS Essential for the managed bare-metal machines?

From the Ubuntu site, it looks like managed machines do not need UA-I, but my Ubuntu sales contact didn’t know how that works…
*Support and commercial capabilities for MAAS are included with [Ubuntu Advantage for Infrastructure(UA-I).
*In the case where Ubuntu Advantage for Infrastructure is not purchased for managed machines, then MAAS support can be purchased as a standalone service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hi @sho1sho1sho1

A member of Canonical should reach you over DM (Direct Message) to try and resolve your issue regarding licensing.

Meanwhile I will mark this post as closed.
Please don’t hesitate to write me a direct message if for some reason you didn’t get anything from us in your Discourse messages inbox.

Hello.

Could I ask you to share information about licensing with me too?

Hello @kiruka4

Is there any specific information you are interested in?
There is some information about licensing available at https://maas.io (bottom section of the page)

I want to configure LDAP authentication. As I understand I need Essential subscription. But I don’t understand for LDAP it’s only $30 per year (If rack and region controller on the same VM)? Or $30 its price for every server deployed with MAAS? Or I need to buy Ubuntu Advantage for Infrastructure ($225) + $30 ?

@kiruka4, did you ever connect with someone who could explain? i’m in the engineering team, so i don’t have access to pricing (and they don’t let me make deals :), but if you’ll tell me where you’re located, i can try to hook you up with the right sales folks.

@billwear, no I still have the same questions as @sho1sho1sho1.

I am from Ukraine. Thank you.

@kiruka4, someone from our SEG team is trying to DM you. are you getting the message?

Hi

The same here. We get a commercial and technical person in order get a support ( we pay) during the meeting we talk about RBAC and we explain that we don t find any information/documentation about RBAC.
Soince our meeting there is a documentation update

But it s not real clear how it s work … my company will pay for a support … hope to get some answer on RBAC solution … with out RBAC i manage privilage by a file with user/ token ( produce my self) and i manage right by this way ( GITLABCI i do )
If someone have a documentation with clear explaination message me here please !!!

Persons from MAAS say us that to use RBAC you don t need lecence … it s free use… but how ?? ))

thx

I am still not sure why it is so hard to get this information. I’ve been chasing this information for almost 2 years and still don’t have any information to get started.

I think Ubuntu probably reserves the RBAC feature for the large data centers deployers where they pay the bulk of the Ubunut Support Services.

Good luck on your search!