Future feature: Dashboard

A better MAAS GUI experience with thousands of nodes

Whilst many MAAS deployments are modest, there is strong growth in large-scale deployments.

• Thank you for trusting MAAS with your large deployments. We want to hear from users with 100s and 1000s of nodes, about how we can better meet you needs.

• This industry-shift has been famously characterised as ‘raising cattle’ rather than ‘keeping pets’; this matches our philosophy of bringing a cloud-like experience to metal.

• The API and CLI are obviously a key way to work at scale, to script your solutions. In addition, the MAAS design team is looking for ideas and feedback on the ‘Dashboard’ concept.

• Also, do note the performance and stats metrics added in 2.6

Open questions:

• What new challenges do you face, moving from 100s to 1000s of machines?

• What kind of high-level summaries do you wish for?

• What information is easy to miss, or difficult to manage, with a large MAAS?

• What’s not great with the current GUI for a large MAAS? If we could improve one thing, what would that be?

• Charts and graphs: what information-visualisations do you find useful? You might have examples from other products, or other domains that you would like to see in MAAS.

All feedback welcome.

Here’s an idea:

When dealing with KVM pods and Virsh machines, from the machines tab it would be nice to see the relationship between the physical nodes and the children.
example:

NODE +
     | - VM01
     | - VM02

I find that tracking down which pod a virtual machine physically lives in is a little weird, particularly if you have a large mix of Physical machines and Virtual machines.

That said I do find myself doing this when trying to track where my pets live. In the case of true cattle, I’m usually herding those externally with Juju or scripting via CLI.

So would group by: kvm host do it for you?

That’s a really simple idea! It’s perfect!
… this is why I’m not a UX persion :rofl: I would’ve completely over complicated that

@lasseg have a look here