Esxi deploy failed - maas 2.9

Hello everybody.
I trying to evaluate bare metall as a service with MAAS. I set up a testing environment in vmware, - maas server and some “target” vm.
First step - deploy of ubuntu from maas. It was ok, all as wrote in documentation.
Second step - deploy of custom debian image. With some patching and hacking it worked nice.
Last step - I try to deploy esxi vmvisor image. And here is a problem (problems).
Deploy finished with error:
ValueError: Did not find any filesystem on [‘sda’] that contained one of [‘curtin’, ‘system-data/var/lib/snapd’, ‘snaps’]
Did not find any filesystem on [‘sda’] that contained one of [‘curtin’, ‘system-data/var/lib/snapd’, ‘snaps’].
But esxi operation system was set on vm, and (if I disable pxe) it can boot from disk.
I tried to add “make /curtin” to KS, I tried to remove every lines from curtin-hook and add “echo 1” with intention to get zero exit code, and re-create esxi image, but no luck.

Please help me fix this.

If it can help with debug - earlier in log I see this:

mount: /tmp/tmp_6gfp16t: unknown filesystem type ‘VMFS_volume_member’.

@readthebook, did you ever figure this one out?

Is there any update/progression from others with the same issue here?

We got the same error trying to provision a custom RHEL8 image:

TIMED BLOCK_META: 52.321
        finish: cmd-install/stage-partitioning/builtin/cmd-block-meta: FAIL: curtin command block-meta
        Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "/curtin/curtin/commands/main.py", line 202, in main
            ret = args.func(args)
          File "/curtin/curtin/log.py", line 97, in wrapper
            return log_time("TIMED %s: " % msg, func, *args, **kwargs)
          File "/curtin/curtin/log.py", line 79, in log_time
            return func(*args, **kwargs)
          File "/curtin/curtin/commands/block_meta.py", line 113, in block_meta
            return meta_simple(args)
          File "/curtin/curtin/commands/block_meta.py", line 2164, in meta_simple
            rootdev = write_image_to_disk(dd_images[0], devname)
          File "/curtin/curtin/commands/block_meta.py", line 171, in write_image_to_disk
            return block.get_root_device([devname], paths=paths)
          File "/curtin/curtin/block/__init__.py", line 760, in get_root_device
            raise ValueError(
        ValueError: Did not find any filesystem on ['sda'] that contained one of ['curtin', 'system-data/var/lib/snapd', 'snaps']
        Did not find any filesystem on ['sda'] that contained one of ['curtin', 'system-data/var/lib/snapd', 'snaps']

And are trying to decipher it now. :confused: