Custom Image OS support

Hi MaaS Team,

where can I find OS support list for MasS. Because i am doing test with Oracle Linux 8 without success so any help will be appreciated.

ps:

“name”: [“Unsupport operating system ol, supported operating systems: [‘ubuntu’, ‘ubuntu-core’, ‘bootloader’, ‘centos’, ‘rhel’, ‘custom’, ‘windows’, ‘suse’, ‘caringo’, ‘esxi’]”]}

BR,
Stefan

MAAS supports supported releases of Ubuntu, CentOS/RHEL 7 and 8, VMware ESXi 6.7, and Windows Server 2012-2016.

Oracle Linux isn’t officially supported right now but its supposed to be binary compatible with RHEL which is supported. I would start by feeding the RHEL 8 Packer template the Oracle Linux 8 ISO to create the image. You can then upload it as custom/oracle-linux-8. MAAS/Curtin do look at /etc/os-release during install to determine the deployment OS. Because RHEL/CentOS aren’t in the name matching may fail. If that is the case please file a bug and upload the curtin logs.

maas $PROFILE node-script-result download $SYSTEM_ID current-installation filters=/tmp/curtin-logs.tar > curtin-logs.tar

Hi @ltrager,

I try to change os-release but without success so I open the bug:
Failed Oracle Linux deployment

BR,
Stefan

1 Like

Hi again,

any updates here. What about Rocky Linux which seems to be replacement of Centos 8?

@tension183, i’ve read about Rocky, but we would still have to do work to support it – so i guess for now, the answer would be, “no, we don’t support Rocky Linux,” because it’s not currently on our roadmap.

can you give me a view into how many persons/organizations like yourself are currently substituting Rocky for CentOS? are you already making the substitution?

1 Like

Hi @billwear,

I don’t have such statistic but we are small company with 2600 bare metal machines. And we need to decide end of the year where we go with our Centos 7 and Centos 8 support.

Thanks,
Stefan

Hi @billwear,

I we are a broadcaster in Italy and we are planning to switch from Centos to Rocky.

BR
Francesco

@tension183, btw, is there any reason why you can’t use Ubuntu instead of CentOS? there’s good support available…

1 Like

Hi @billwear,

yes every LTS version of Ubuntu give you 5 years of lifecycle if you need to extend this support you need to pay for this if I am remeber correctly. Centos was 10 years lifecycle before IBM to decide ruined the project. And Rocky Linux step in Spotlights after whole Centos community was angry.

So 5 years lifecylce is to short for us we need to start migration every 4 years becouse to migrate to new OS takes almost one year work. I can explain more if you need details.

BR,
Stefan

@tension183, yes, I’d like to understand more.

would you be willing to have a Google Meet next week sometime to discuss face to face? if so, what time zone are you in and what are a few times next week you’d be free for 30m?

i’m interested in hearing your parameters, so i better understand what users are facing.

Hi @billwear,

yes sure we can discuss what is our vision and our use case I am in EET time zone. Monday or Tuesday after 1:00PM its ok for me.