Cloudinit Failing After Deployment

Hi. I am stuck on an error that I get after deploying nodes. Everything appears to work fine except post installation cloudinit tasks. No matter what OS I deploy, I always get the following errors below, which prevent my ssh keys from getting added and I can’t login into any environments.

**Node post-installation failure - 'cloudinit' running config-keys-to-console with frequency once-per-instance**
**Node post-installation failure - 'cloudinit' running config-ssh-authkey-fingerprints with frequency once-per-instance**
**Node post-installation failure - 'cloudinit' running modules for final**

Hi @mayday83,

what OS you use what version of MaaS you use. This info can helps others to help you thanks in advance.

Best,
Stefan

Thanks, Tension. My host OS version is: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS bionic and I am trying to deploy the Cent OS 7 and Ubuntu 18.03.3 images.

Hi @mayday83,

this Launchpad bug report explain most of this problem: https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1735950

i am using:
Ubuntu-server - Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
MAAS version: 2.6.1 (7832-g17912cdc9-0ubuntu1~18.04.1)
curtin: 19.1-7-g37a7a0f4-0ubuntu1~18.04.1
cloud-init: 19.2-36-g059d049c-0ubuntu2~18.04.1

and i install 400+ (Centos7) machines without seen this problem. Hope comments from this lunchpad report can helps you.

Best,
Stefan

ps. Thanks @sparkiegeek

1 Like

Hi Tension,

Thanks for the suggestion. It did not help, unfortunately, but I did get MAAS to work successfully. I found out that the deployments pass or fail based on the hardware/software it is trying to deploy. I get mixed results using the same controller. Some computers will keep restarting, Proxmox virtual machines will fail on the final cloud-init task, while others would report a missing image for Cent Os 7 error. I manged to get a working Cent OS 7 install on an old Ethereum mining machine I had. Nothing funny happened during the deployment tests. I am going to test some newer gaming boards that I have to see if this only happens with older/virtual machines.

Hi @mayday83,

i am happy to hear you get working MaaS setup. I can suggest if you using Proxmox or pure KVM host add them to POD directly in MaaS:

Works very well :slight_smile:.

Best,
Stefan

Hi @tension183,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a shot.

I can confirm that my crappy hardware was the issue. I am using three gaming motherboards and I have not had any issues deploying Cent OS. Moral of this thread is don’t test on old(decade) hardware. Thanks again for the help tension.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.