CentOS 8 has been added to images.maas.io!

CentOS 8

We have happy to announce that CentOS 8 has been added to the default MAAS images stream! You can start using CentOS 8 by adding centos/8 as a boot a boot source selection in the UI or CLI.

Note: CentOS 8 has changed the default username to cloud-user

packer-maas generated CentOS images

CentOS images hosted on images.maas.io are now generated using packer-maas. We now have an automated Jenkins job which produces new CentOS images whenever there are updates available. These images will go into the MAAS candidate stream to be tested before being promoted to the stable stream.

CentOS 6 Removed

CentOS 6 is going end of life November 30th and will no longer be receiving bug fixes or security updates. As such we have removed CentOS 6 from images.maas.io. MAAS does not delete images which have been downloaded but no longer exist in a SimpleStream. If you are no longer using CentOS 6 you must manually delete it. If you still need a CentOS 6 image with MAAS a Packer template as part of packer-maas.

5 Likes

Thank you!!! :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @ltrager,

What Centos 8 image MAAS will provide after end of 2021. Why I ask, may be you already read the news about life cycle of Centos 8 going to be stream version.

Thanks BR,
Stefan

@tension183, yeah, i saw that announcement yesterday and showed it to @ltrager. we’re still investigating what it means, it wasn’t clear what would happen to CentOS versioning with the shift to streams.

1 Like

Hi @billwear,

Any update in this topic thanks in advance.

BR,
Stefan

@tension183, we’re still not finding any clarity here; it’s not us. you may want to research this, also; maybe between us we can come up with an idea about how they plan to structure this change.

Hi,

Does anyone having issue logging into new Centos 8 instance with cloud-user login? I have tried Centos7 and the Centos8 image and I can’t sign in with user cloud-user with private key. The ubuntu image I can login in with user ubuntu with private key so I don’t think it’s a key issue.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Hi @sho1sho1sho1,

for Centos OS you need to use user: centos

BR,
Stefan

CentOS 7 uses centos upstream changed CentOS 8 to use cloud-user.

One trick that works on many different versions of Linux is to attempt to SSH in as root. This will fail but often tells you which user you should be using :slight_smile:

1 Like

how about debian images?

1 Like

Hello,

Is there any word on the CentOS Linux vs. CentOS Stream issue.

I am trying to install and use FreeIPA. It seems FreeIPA does not work well with Debian based systems. It seems the last supported Ubuntu version was 18.04. On MAAS my only alternative is CentOS 7 since CentOS 8 is EOL. This makes me a bit nervous since CentOS 7 was released in 2014 and its EOL is in 2024.

Are there going to be any CentOS Linux alternatives supported by MAAS?

Thanks for thinking about this topic.