2.8.1 Intermittent slowness on LXDs?

Hey there,
We’ve been seeing intermittent slow page loads on our MAAS server.
Sometimes on the machines list, sometimes on the KVM list, sometimes on the Images list.
When we hit a very slow patch it can take 20-40 seconds to load one of the given pages.

Here’s our setup:
3x SuperMicro X9DRT (blades), running Ubuntu 18.04 Server, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (boot drive), 2x Samsung 860 EVOs (mirrored zpool for LXDs), 64GB RAM, 10G LAN connection
3x LXDs each with a region+rack server (snap version)
3x LXDs each running PostgreSQL (deployed with juju using the postgresql charm version 208 [postgresql version 10.12]) as the database for MAAS.
176x Hardware Machines are checked into MAAS
~35x KVMs deployed across 77 KVM hosts (in MAAS)

Watching usual system statistics has been no help (CPU/load/disk bandwith+IO/network bandwidth+IO), as far as these go they seem to be pretty quiet.

I’ve been struggling to find anything else that could be the cause, so I’ve been watching Postgres for slow queries (>5 seconds), but I have no idea if what I’m seeing is out of the ordinary or not:

2020-08-12 20:46:53 UTC [22532]: [3-1] db=maasdb,user=maas LOG: duration: 31784.074 ms fastpath function call: "lo_unlink" (OID 964)

2020-08-12 20:47:32 UTC [40006]: [3-1] db=maasdb,user=maas LOG: duration: 6950.174 ms statement: COMMIT

2020-08-11 22:30:34 UTC [27895]: [3-1] db=maasdb,user=maas LOG: duration: 19999.379 ms fastpath function call: "loread" (OID 954)

2020-08-11 22:30:34 UTC [9323]: [5-1] db=maasdb,user=maas LOG: duration: 15769.444 ms statement: SELECT "maasserver_node"."id", "maasserver_node"."created", "maasserver_node"."updated", "maasserver_node"."system_id", "maasserver_node"."hardware_uuid", "maasserver_node"."hostname", "maasserver_node"."description", "maasserver_node"."pool_id", "maasserver_node"."domain_id", "maasserver_node"."address_ttl", "maasserver_node"."status", "maasserver_node"."previous_status", "maasserver_node"."status_expires", "maasserver_node"."owner_id", "maasserver_node"."bios_boot_method", "maasserver_node"."osystem", "maasserver_node"."distro_series", "maasserver_node"."architecture", "maasserver_node"."min_hwe_kernel", "maasserver_node"."hwe_kernel", "maasserver_node"."node_type", "maasserver_node"."parent_id", "maasserver_node"."agent_name", "maasserver_node"."error_description", "maasserver_node"."zone_id", "maasserver_node"."cpu_count", "maasserver_node"."cpu_speed", "maasserver_node"."memory", "maasserver_node"."swap_size", "maasserver_node"."bmc_id", "maasserver_node"."instance_power_parameters", "maasserver_node"."power_state", "maasserver_node"."power_state_queried", "maasserver_node"."power_state_updated", "maasserver_node"."last_image_sync", "maasserver_node"."error", "maasserver_node"."netboot", "maasserver_node"."ephemeral_deploy", "maasserver_node"."license_key", "maasserver_node"."creation_type", "maasserver_node"."boot_interface_id", "maasserver_node"."boot_cluster_ip", "maasserver_node"."boot_disk_id", "maasserver_node"."gateway_link_ipv4_id", "maasserver_node"."gateway_link_ipv6_id", "maasserver_node"."default_user", "maasserver_node"."install_rackd", "maasserver_node"."install_kvm", "maasserver_node"."enable_ssh", "maasserver_node"."skip_bmc_config", "maasserver_node"."skip_networking", "maasserver_node"."skip_storage", "maasserver_node"."url", "maasserver_node"."dns_process_id", "maasserver_node"."managing_process_id", "maasserver_node"."current_commissioning_script_set_id", "maasserver_node"."current_installation_script_set_id", "maasserver_node"."current_testing_script_set_id", "maasserver_node"."locked" FROM "maasserver_node" WHERE ("maasserver_node"."node_type" IN (2, 4) AND "maasserver_node"."system_id" = 'ae7a7x')

2020-08-14 04:13:11 UTC [40654]: [3-1] db=maasdb,user=postgres LOG: duration: 8866.240 ms statement: COPY public.metadataserver_scriptresult (id, created, updated, status, exit_status, script_name, stdout, stderr, result, script_id, script_set_id, script_version_id, output, ended, started, parameters, physical_blockdevice_id, suppressed, interface_id) TO stdout;

2020-08-11 22:30:34 UTC [27881]: [3-1] db=maasdb,user=maas LOG: duration: 19160.838 ms statement: UPDATE "maasserver_node" SET "power_state_queried" = '2020-08-11T22:30:15.608069'::timestamp WHERE "maasserver_node"."system_id" IN ('4a6mff', '44f6e6', '6qk8bd', 'ah3b6c', 'akeeaq', 'c8rdnn', '4ff66m', 'b6cpwt', 'fkrbqk', '73rhne')

2020-08-11 23:36:23 UTC [13011]: [3-1] db=maasdb,user=maas LOG: duration: 26002.864 ms statement: SELECT pg_advisory_xact_lock(20120116, 7)

Current counts for the above queries:

grep lo_unlink postgresql-10-main.log | wc -l

grep COMMIT postgresql-10-main.log | wc -l

grep loread postgresql-10-main.log | wc -l

grep 'SELECT "maasserver_node"' postgresql-10-main.log | wc -l

grep COPY postgresql-10-main.log | wc -l

grep UPDATE postgresql-10-main.log | wc -l

grep pg_advisory_xact_lock postgresql-10-main.log | wc -l

For the queries above, the Durations listed are pretty representative of those queries (at least when they’re >5 seconds).

Is the above strange or out of order?
Is there something else we should be looking into?
Or are the slow UI times we’re seeing expected performance?

Thank you!
-Derek

Hi @derekcat, I don’t really see the UI problem here in this example, can you elaborate that a little bit more?

Hey Amylily,
It’s up there a ways - in the first paragraph I describe seeing 20-40 second load times on some pages, intermittently (behavior seems to be worst on the Machines, KVM, and Images pages).

Is that expected behavior? It seems pretty excessive for just a list of hostnames/images.

Hi @derekcat,

It shouldn’t behave that way.

Which maas version are you currently using? Older maas versions can have similar performance issues.
To upgrade your version using snap please visit https://maas.io/docs/install-from-a-snap

However, I would suggest you to file this bug in launchpad https://launchpad.net/maas, that way you can follow up on it. Let me know if you’ve filed the bug.

Ahh good to know it at least shouldn’t be like this. :slight_smile:

It’s in the title of the post, 2.8.1.
It looks like the 2.8.x series is the current stable release, correct?

Done! https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1892543

That’s correct, 2.8 is the current stable release.
I was assuming that 2.8.1 is your current version as well, thank you for confirming. :slight_smile: