Interactive search (snap/2.7/UI)

The Machines and Devices pages contain a powerful interactive search bar that lets you filter machines and devices. This article is designed to help you understand how to use this resource.

Eight questions you may have:

1. How can I do simple searches?
  2. How can I do filtered searches?
  3. How can I create manual filters?
  4. How do I set up exact matching?
  5. How do I set up partial matching?
  6. How can I include multiple search terms?
  7. What filter properties are available to me?
  8. How can I search with the CLI?

Simple searches

To begin searching, enter your search text. As you type, MAAS will update search results in real time. You can search across virtually every parameter, including domain, name, tag, power type, IP, status, zone, and so on.

Filtered searches

Filter your searches to major categories by selecting one from the Filters drop-down menu next to the search bar.

For example, to find all “New” machines containing the name or tag ‘quail’, select Status/New from the drop-down Filters menu, and then type the word ‘quail’ next to it:

Manual filters

Enter filters manually in the search bar to more precisely control your searches:

filter-name:([=]val1,...,[=]val2)

Note: Surround search terms with parentheses when they must occur together, e.g., status:(failed testing).

Exact matching

If you need an exact match, preface the search value with an equal sign. For example, to find machines belonging to a pod named able-cattle:

pod:=able-cattle

Partial matching

Without an equal sign, MAAS returns partial matches. For example, the following will display all machines belonging to pods with names containing able or cattle:

pod:able,cattle

Multiple search terms

MAAS uses boolean AND logic to evaluate multiple search terms. For example, when you type pod:able,cattle cpu:=5, MAAS displays machines that belong to pods with names containing able OR cattle AND having 5 CPU cores. Similarly, if you enter multiple words into the search tool, e.g., steady able, MAAS will display machines matching both terms (e.g., steady AND able).

Filter properties

In addition to the major filtering categories available in the Filter drop-down menu, twenty-one machine properties are available as filters:

1. architecture
  2. cores
  3. cpu
  4. distro_series
  5. fqdn
  6. ip_addresses
  7. mac
  8. pod
  9. pod-id
  10. pool
  11. power
  12. pxe_mac
  13. pxe_mac_vendor
  14. ram
  15. release
  16. spaces
  17. status
  18. storage
  19. storage_tags
  20. tags
  21. zone

For example, the following will search for a machine that has an interface with a specific MAC address marked for PXE booting:

pxe_mac:=9e:b0:e4:15:ae:1e